Monday to Sunday Open 24 Hours
(208) 949-0313

Mold vs Mildew

On April 23rd, 2018

Posted In:

Mold vs Mildew

Mildew and mold are both fungi that you definitely don't want to see in your home. Despite their similarities, mold and mildew are very different in terms of color, texture, size -- and their ability to cause damage to your home. When you see a fuzzy patch in your bathroom, under your sink, or inside a wall, make sure you know the difference between the two to combat the problem effectively.


Mildew Grows on Surfaces

Mildew is a common surface fungus that grows on the surface of moist areas. It resembles flat, powdery white-gray patches or specks and it's commonly found in bathrooms. Unlike mold, which grows inside structures, mildew may be found on any damp surfaces like fabric, tile, cardboard, and more. Mildew is not as invasive as mold and it's viewed as the lesser of two evils.

Mildew can cause allergic reactions like mold, but it's a much easier problem to address. Because mildew only grows on surfaces like bathroom tiles and grout, it's usually easy to clean with bleach or vinegar and a scrubbing brush.


Mold Is Usually a Larger Problem

Mold can destroy almost any type of material once it starts growing. It's also a common allergen as mold spores can trigger allergic reactions like rashes, sneezing, sore throat, and eye irritation. People with asthma and respiratory disease are most at risk to suffer health-related effects from mold exposure, but indoor mold exposure has also been linked to wheezing and upper respiratory tract symptoms in healthy people.

Unlike mildew, mold can grow out of sight behind walls, in carpeting, and under sinks. Mold usually looks darker and fuzzier than mildew, but there are hundreds of varieties that can be any color from dark green to yellow, gray, brown, or black. Sometimes it merely looks like a patch of dirt at first. Remember: mildew is flakey and powdery, but mold is fuzzy or slimy. It can even be described as hairy-looking, depending on the species.

If you see a patch of mold in your home, there's a good chance that there is a larger problem hidden from sight. Small mold problems can be treated yourself by removing contaminated items and treating visible mold with bleach. Larger mold problems should never be tackled on your own because mold spores easily become airborne.


Do You Need Remediation Service?

Remediation is almost never necessary for mildew, but a larger mold problem should always be left to a professional mold restoration company. Without treatment, mold can cause structural damage to your home and permanently damage everything from carpet and drywall to grout and structural beams and wood studs. It can also damage your health and cause respiratory and allergic problems. Mold must always be approached correctly to prevent mold spores from becoming airborne and spreading to other areas of the home.

At Take 2, we are more than just a certified restoration company; we also handle remodeling after the mold problem has been addressed. Don't turn a mold infestation over to a remediation company that will leave you with missing drywall, damaged flooring, and holes in your home. Our team can restore your home as it was or help you bring your dream bathroom or kitchen to life. Contact Take 2 to get a free quote on mold remediation for your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Recent Posts

  • Take 2 Restoration
    & Remodel
    521 E 3rd St.
    Meridian, ID 83642
    © Copyright 2017 - - All Rights Reserved
    PrivacyTerms & Conditions