Mold is something no homeowner wants to find in their house. Unfortunately, it can sometimes grow unbeknown to you and become a serious problem. Mold in your home can severely decrease the home's value, indicate a serious water problem and pose a health risk for you and your family. If you have just discovered mold in your house, this guide will help you determine what to do next.
What Type Is It?
There are actually several different types of mold, with some being less dangerous than others. What is commonly known as "pink mold," which usually grows in sinks and tubs, is actually not even a mold at all - it's a bacteria. Black mold is infamous as one of the most dangerous varieties. The visual color of the mold, unfortunately, does not always tell you what type of mold you have on your hands, because different varieties can come in different colors. If you are particularly concerned, you can have it analyzed by experts.
Get Medical Attention If Needed
If you suspect you or someone else in your family is having a health issue because of the mold, seek medical attention immediately. In particular, mold is known for triggering allergy symptoms, but it can also lead to infections, rashes and wheezing. Depending on the severity of both the health issue and the mold infestation, affected persons may be forced to vacate the property until it is fully cleaned and restored.
Don't allow the problem to get any worse. When you first find mold growing in your kitchen, bathroom or elsewhere in your home, set aside some time to clean it thoroughly. If the growth is just along the windowsill or there's some pink mold growing on your shower curtain, it can be wiped up easily with simple household cleaners. Mold covering a larger area, or more dangerous types of mold, should be scrubbed with bleach or another powerful disinfectant. Be sure to wear old clothes and a protective mask over your face.
Check for Water Problems
Mold usually grows in perpetually moist areas. If you spot water damage, or know of areas in your home that occasionally get wet, you should also check for mold. If you discover mold in your home, you should check to make sure there are no water issues. For example, pipes under your bathroom sink may be leaking. There may be leakage between walls as well, where it is more likely to go unnoticed, so be vigilant. The mold will simply grow back if the source of the problem goes unresolved.
Call The Pros
Small amounts of mold are usually easy to handle on your own. However, sometimes there is simply far too much or the damage is too extensive. You also might have a medical condition that makes it unsafe for you to attempt to remove the mold yourself. In any of these cases, it might be time to call the professionals. They can expertly remove the mold and restore your home to its original state.
Mold is a potentially serious issue that should not be ignored once discovered. Work to get it cleaned up immediately. If the damage is too extensive or the mold spread too far, be sure to call in the experts for help.